Importance of Vishnu Sahasranama as explained by K.N.Rao
There are many kinds of Saharanams, but the two most popular ones are the Vishnu Sahasranam and the Lalitha Sahasranam. However, the Lalitha Sahasranama is more popular in Southern India The reason behind the popularity of the Vishnu Sahasranam is that Sri Shankaracharya practised it.
1. The Vishnu Sahasranam appears in the Mahabharata, from the mouth of Bhishma (who was lying on the bed of arrows) and addressed to Yudhishthira (the eldest of the Pandava brothers), with Lord Sri Krishna standing by, giving his full approval (and blessing).
This is the only Sahasranam where the Lord Himself has given his tacit approval- the Mahabharatha describes this fully (Book: Anushasana Parva, Chapter:135, Verses:14 to 120)
2. This is the only Sahasranam on which the great Sri Adi Shankaracharya had written a commentary, and no other. Sri Adi Shankaracharya advocated 4 universal means to bring Sweetness, Simplicity and Peace in human life:
- Singing the glories of Lord Vishnu through the Bhagavad Geeta and the Vishnu Sahasranama
- Constantly remembering (Meditating upon) his form in one’s heart.
- Enjoying the company of (Satwick) noble people
- And doing (Satwick) charity for the poor and the needy (Bhaja Govindam, 27)
- The various kinds of Satwick Charity is mentioned in the Geeta. By doing this, one attains to Peace.
The Astrological importance
In addition, there’s the Astrological significance, which I advise to those who come here to discuss Astrology or any problems: Be it Planetary or Dashas, anything. I advise them to recite the Vishnu Sahasranama and also the ‘Narayana Kavacha’ from the Sreemad Bhagavatha Purana (Chapter8, Skanda 6). Recite these.
Slowly, Peace will appear in one’s mind; the atmosphere becomes Pure, Tranquil and Satwick. And because of Satwick qualities, one becomes Fearless,, and consequently, the other gunas like Rajas (Feverish activity) and Tamas (Sloth) gets reduced.
Specifically, I tell those who have just attained, or are running Budha Dasha, to recite the Vishnu Sahsranama, as a must. Most of the common types of Astrologers prescribe many diverse Astrological remedies, like lucky stones, etc, but I believe these are all merely means to fleece money from the consultee.
All this is not needed. You simply sit down and recite the Vishnu Sahsranama. Especially those who are going through the Dasha of Budha (Mercury), as Budha is supposed to be the symbol of Lord Vishnu, in Jyotish (Vedic Astrology) and one truly gets to experience its immense benefits. Let it be any Dasha/Antardasha you’re going through, do recite the Vishnu Sahasranama; there are great benefits. I have many cases or examples of people deriving benefit
There’s this girl from Delhi, she just left here a little while back. She creates sculptures of using iron scrap and is now world-famous. In fact, she’s considered one of the top 5 promising artists in India.
Four years back she was going through an adverse Dasha/Antardasha; her health was poor, too. I advised her to recite the Vishnu Sahasranama. She did exactly that. So much so, that in time, her inner talents awakened, and now she is world famous, she has a worldwide clientele and considered one of the top 5 artists in India.
I have many such examples of people, who have started reciting the Vishnu Sahasranama and whose inner talents have awakened. Take the case of a boy who’s poor in studies. The parents sit with the boy and together recite the Vishnu Sahasranama. Slowly, the inner talents shine forth and the boy becomes a good student. Problems get solved this way.
As an Astrologer, I only advise the recitation of the Vishnu Sahasranama, as opposed to all sorts of other diverse remedies we see nowadays, which I do not approve of.
Source: K N Rao Interview