Child and youth mental health in Canada
Approximately 20% of Canadian youth have a mental disorder. This proportion has remained stable over time. Reference Globally, mental and substance use disorders are the leading cause of years lived with disability — a measurement of the burden of disease.
Hospital use for mental disorders by children and youth has changed over the past 10 years. Between 2008–2009 and 2018–2019, there was a 61% increase in visits to the emergency department and a 60% increase in hospitalizations.
During this same time period, there was a 26% decrease in hospitalizations for other conditions.
Public Health Ontario has highlighted that exposure to stress and adverse childhood experience can negatively and permanently affect brain development and increase vulnerability to poor health outcomes across our lifespan.
Long term stress could lead to chronic problems such as high blood pressure, obesity, depression, among others. The economic burden of mental illness in Canada is estimated to be $51 billion per year.
We offer following services for marginalized and ethnic communities ;
- Assessment : Often kids with ADHD experience difficulty initiating, staying focused, and feeling organized while completing daily activities. Children from marginalized section of society at more risk of not receiving needed support at an early age due to socio and cultural factors. Mind Flower aims to address that.
- Counselling: Integrative Ayurvedic counselling offers holistic approach towards transforming life, not only individual well-being but also that of the family by working with awareness and intuition to shift and release old fixed mental patterns, creating balance, health and happiness
- Support: Unique combination of Psychotherapy and Ayurveda healing therapies strengthen immunity, removing stress, restoring enthusiasm in daily life. The approach is based on time tested Ayurvedic herbal medicines, pure organic herbs, life style based daily routines, yoga and breathing exercises.
- Ayurveda and Yoga are sister sciences that have been united for thousands of years for aim to cultivate higher states of health, wellness and ultimate awareness. Ayurveda uses certain asana, pranayama and meditation to heal specific conditions which is known as Yoga Chikitsa (Yoga Therapy).
- Specific yogic exercises by considering your individual prakruti (constitution), and vikruti (present imbalances) are chosen that will best support the individual and are practiced daily
Your donation would allow us to make natural health remedies available to vulnerable section of parents for children facing mental health condition, who otherwise wouldn’t be possible to take advantage of these services.